[pct-l] Hammocks

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Tue Aug 2 22:13:07 CDT 2011

>> (3) Excessive weight in cold regions.
> Define excessive weight.  My hammock setup is only a few ounces heaver than my tent setup, each being about 6 pounds for the entire system.

> My hammock, with built in bug net, TQ, BQ, tartp and all the straps and stakes is about 6 pounds.  My solo tent, sleeping bag and inflatable pad are about 6 pounds.  I sleep warmer in the hammock and much more comfortably.  I realize I could shed a couple of pounds with the tent, but that would not improve the sleeping experience at all.

> What do you consider a standard tent setup?

> My base is 17-18 pounds currently, down from 45 or so two years ago.  I am pretty happy with that for now.

Hello Ed,

All those questions/topics are specific about weight and therein
differences of hiking style. HYOH

Two years ago my base pack weight was 18 pounds, I am now at sub 5
pounds base pack weight. It is under that condition that I consider a
sleeping setup weighed in at 6 pounds to be 'excessive'. But this is
just me mate. A few years ago I would have thought a 6 pound sleeping
setup was totally acceptable and well within the acceptable weight
limit. My entire sleeping setup now weighs 2.37 pounds in the winter
and 1.05 pounds in the summer. So, please, just take what I said in
light of this.

When I had a full on hammock setup it was a little over 5 pounds
(winter setup) which is 50% heavier than my existing setup. I sleep
just as well now as I do in a hammock (finally found the right
combination of ground gear that works for me). Sleeping on the ground
I usually have less setup mucking around (loved those whoopie slings,
but have had more than one pair of them fault out on me) and a couple
minutes quicker setup time, and slightly better protection from the
bugs-with-wings-that-we-cannot-name.

Anyway, I do not want you to think that you cannot do the PCT with a
hammock, clearly you can, but as I previously said, the issues I
brought up are issues to consider. Take them for what I offer them as,
considerations, nothing more.

> Thanks again for your feedback

Sure thing!

John B. Abela