[pct-l] Hammocks

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Tue Aug 2 21:36:29 CDT 2011

> > I doubt I will ever mount an all out attack on the PCT but have begun nibbling away at it. ?I have also recently converted from sleeping on the ground to swinging in the trees at night. ?I assume that the SoCal desert ?does not lend itself to hammocking. ?But what about the rest of the trail. ?Are there any places where a hammock would just not work?
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> Yes, there are a number of places where hammocks would just not work,
> and there are some really important things to consider before you
> starting planning to use a hammock on the PCT.
>
> Last year there were three or four people who did (or tried to) the
> PCT with a hammock.
>
> I know of two this year who are attempting it. At least two others I
> know of gave up for the same exact reasons that I will present below.
> They and I spent a lot (dozens of hours) talking about making it
> happen, but they, like me, realized it was just not the ideal setup.
I understand that there are issues with using a hammock on a long through hike.  But I am more of a section hiker and do not see a thru hike in my future.

> You will/would face three primary problems/issues with a hammock on the PCT:
>
> (1) Not finding two trees when you are dead tired.
Since I would be section hiking, time is generally not going to be an issue for me.  I will start looking for trees long before dark and will avoid entering areas that are treeless when it is getting close to stopping time.

> (2) There not being any trees for miles in a few areas.
Same response as above.

> (3) Excessive weight in cold regions.
Define excessive weight.  My hammock setup is only a few ounces heaver than my tent setup, each being about 6 pounds for the entire system.

> To expand on each of those:
>
> 1) You have been hiking for 28 miles, you are dead tired, and it is
> getting dark. There are no usable trees around you, so, you either
> sleep on the ground (defeating the purpose of having a hammock -
> giggle) or you keep hiking another mile or more in search of two
> usable trees. Is that really want you want to do under these
> circumstances? Yes, it is something which ever hiker faces eventually,
> whether they have a hammock or a tent, but it is greatly amplified as
> a hammock hiker. Read any book or trail journal of folks on the PCT
> and you are going to find story after story of hikers facing hard
> times trying to find a place to setup, after hours and hours of hiking
> hard. And than you want to complicate the matter even worse by using a
> hammock on a trail that was designed for tents. Chances are, you'll be
> sleeping on the ground on your hammock. (been there, done that, a lot,
> it sucks)
Speaking out of ignorance, I suspect there are more decent pairs of trees on the trail than there are flat spots to pitch a tent or tarp.

> 2) There are more than a few sections of the PCT where there are not
> two trees spaced between 9 and 16 feet apart. What about the Mojave?
> You going to try to tie off to two Joshua Trees? What about Tehachapi?
> Going to hope that two cows stand still all night? What about the
> Marble Mountains? Yes, a few trees there, but very very few perfect
> for hammocks. What about your first night on the trail, 10-15 miles
> North of Mexico? Going to hope two people who just crossed the boarder
> are willing to hold your hammock up all night? The list could go on.
> And, if you think you are wanting to use a hammock for the 'comfort',
> what about all of those nights when you have to sleep on the ground.
> Are you going to bring an extra sleeping pad just for those nights,
> which will add 10+ ounces of total dead weight - that sucks too.
Sleeping on the ground will be a rare option for me.  It is a painful enough experience that I will avoid sections with no possibility of hanging, and I will plan ahead otherwise.

> 3) In the cold regions (which seem to be more, rather than less) you
> have to have not one quilt, but two. An underquilt and and overquilt.
> Do not think for one moment that you can get away without an
> underquilt - only using a pad - in SoCal and the Sierras. You'll
> suffer CBS so badly that you will not be able to sleep. So, you will
> be forced to carry two quilts. Each of those weight nearly the same as
> a standard sleeping bag. So that means you are carrying twice as much
> as you would if you had a tent. Than you have to figure that you will
> need an additional ground cloth for when you are forced to sleep on
> the ground. This will add even more weight to your setup. Even if you
> buy the best of the best of the hammock gear out there - warmth verses
> weight - you will be looking at between 3-5 pounds of additional
> weight, in using a hammock setup rather than a tent setup.
My hammock, with built in bug net, TQ, BQ, tartp and all the straps and stakes is about 6 pounds.  My solo tent, sleeping bag and inflatable pad are about 6 pounds.  I sleep warmer in the hammock and much more comfortably.  I realize I could shed a couple of pounds with the tent, but that would not improve the sleeping experience at all.

> Obviously only you can answer if these are 'worth it' for you. Give
> them some serious consideration. There are four or five other issues
> that I resolved while I was considering it, that I have not listed
> here, but the above three issues really are the main ones you should
> give some serious considering too.
>
> Even going with a custom made 6oz Cuben Fiber hammock and cuben fiber
> top/under quilts I was still unable to get close to the weight of a
> standard tent setup.
What do you consider a standard tent setup?
> I spent a lot of money and a lot of time screwing
> around with different configurations, and in the end I gave up on it.
> I suppose it will just come down to you and your hiking style.
> Personally, I want as light as pack as possible. I did not want a 10+
> pound BPW setup, and it would be hard to pull off having a sub-10lb
> setup when using a hammock. Doable, but it would not be easy. I
> suppose if you do not mind being in the 15-20 pound range, for sure
> you can make the PCT hammock with a hammock - baring issues #1 and #2.
My base is 17-18 pounds currently, down from 45 or so two years ago.  I am pretty happy with that for now.

> Happy to share any further thoughts on the matter if you have any. I
> have owned most of the top end hammocks that are out there, as well as
> a bridge hammock and custom made cuben fiber hammocks. Personally, I
> love hammocks, but I do not think the PCT is the ideal trail for
> hammock usage. Not saying you cannot, and that others have not, just
> saying it is not the ideal trail for hammock usage.
Thanks again for your feedback