[pct-l] Two thru hikers rescued from San Jacintos?

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:39:48 CDT 2011

Ned promotes awareness, survival skills, knowing your limits, and being prepared. I don't think it's fair to even suggest his advice even remotely contributed to this situation.
I read the article and it doesn't appear that the start date was the issue.
On my 1980 thru-hike, there were times I was "slightly off trail" and even once when I was without water.
But I never panicked. I didn't have a cell phone, of course, 31 years ago but even if I had I would not have hit the panic button.

I'll say it again: Be careful out there.

I'm not going to judge these 2 hikers but the area they were in, even with "rugged terrain and steep drop-offs" is mild compared to what lies ahead, in my humble opinion.

Oh, by the way, GMC trio hiked up the Devil's Slide Trail from Idylwild, got caught in a blizzard, and simply pitched tents and rode out the storm. We got good at this, starting from the first time we had to ride out a storm around Mount Laguna.

Ernie Castillo

PCT Class of 1980 and a March starter