[pct-l] creek crossing advice/info

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 27 13:40:36 CDT 2011

Chuck and I are really on the same page. Many times we differ on technique or gear, but, essentially, we are primarily concerned about hiker safety.

Regarding footwear, we both agree--wear something to protect your feet from injury. Yes, our tall gaiters do help a lot to keep water out of our boots when crossing creeks whose water level is below the top of the gaiter, otherwise, we take them off and wade across.

How to use your poles--Upstream does sound better and we'll try that out on Rock, Wallace, Wright, and Tyndall Creeks soon. When I used the term "torsion" I meant a sideways force against the pole that might cause it to "bend," so I think Chuck and I are in agreement there and to use the pole upstream as a third leg should minimize that force being placed on the pole.

Not crossing alone--again, we agree. We encourage hikers to face the opposite bank and cross side-by-side (in line with the current), holding onto each other's pant's belts (as if putting your arm around your wife's waist) in a firm grip and using each other for balance and a brace.

Good advice, Steel-Eye!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education