[pct-l] Happy Trails

PCT List pctlist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:30:09 CDT 2011

Geo-tagged reference for a whole slew of categories has existed for
almost 4 years at postholer.

Anyone can add markers to the postholer PCT google map in one of 14
different categories, specifically relevant are water report, trail
reports, fires.

The issue isn't that the tools don't exist, it's a matter of getting
folks to use them. I completely understand it, though. It's
effectively a data entry slog and I personally find it rather boring.
Let's be real, there are things folks would rather be doing.

As Jim mentioned, there are plenty of forums out there you can choose
from. At postholer, specifically there are these forums, "Class of
2011", "Trail Conditions" and the general PCT forum.

-postholer

Though, I think my keenness is more directed towards the idea of
combining a bulletin board and group-edited map in one. I mean we have
the trail laid out on google maps at Postholer. We have water updates
at Asabat and trail updates here and PCTA - all of which could be
tagged by GPS coordinates. Anybody doing time sensitive activities
could post and later delete info (such as a trail angel camping out, a
cache being refilled, a hiker flash mob dance at the top of Mt
Whitney...)