[pct-l] Ice Ax...Snow Shoes...

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 27 09:07:25 CDT 2011

Good morning, all,

There is a continuum of traction devices between shoe soles, shoe screws,
MicroSpikes, instep crampons, up through full-platform crampons.  None are
inherently “bad and dangerous” or something that creates “a false sense of
security”.   That’s baloney -- they all work: The only question is what’s
the best combination of results vs. weight for probable PCT snowpack
considerations.  Each hiker should decide for her/himself based upon their
own knowledge and experience.

I was initially avoided MicroSpikes because I prefer the 1 ¼” spikes of my
instep crampons rather than the short micro-spikes.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768  I was also concerned about
relying upon rubber-band attachments rather than sturdy straps.  Now
however, based upon several years of reports from people whose opinion I
respect, I would definitely consider MicroSpikes if the need arose to
replace what I have now.

An ice axe isn’t “a must”, it’s optional based upon the snowpack conditions
and the hiker’s knowledge and experience.  2011 is a fairly heavy show year,
so carrying one is probably a good idea.  What I question is the
recommendation to use the Black Diamond Whippet; the hiking pole with a pick
at the grip.  Ned says to carry it, “… always when on mild to moderately
steep and snowy traverses”, but to use an ice axe instead when the going
gets steeper.  I’m always in favor of dual-purpose gear, provided both
facets are necessary and any resulting compromise in weight and function
aren’t too great.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264671

However, one Whippet weighs over 14 ounces while one of my trekking poles
weighs about 8 ounces.  Also if I used a Whippet would add some weight for a
pick guard to avoid, as Black Diamond terms it, “self-evisceration".  In the
Whippet manual at
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/uploads/black-diamond/files/MM5978_C_Ski_Poles_WEB.pdf
Black Diamond points out that the Whippet is not an ice axe nor a substitute
for one, so I don’t see the point.  If I think necessary I will carry my
rated, 9.4 ounce ice axe rather than a Whippet and the ice axe.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09