[pct-l] Section C micro-hikes

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Tue Apr 26 21:14:29 CDT 2011

On the weekend we hiked from Splinters Trailhead southbound to Holcomb
Crossing trail camp.  We took chain saws, and cleared out all the logs
in the trail (about 20 obstacles altogether).  There was plenty of water
available in Holcomb creek plus many side creeks crossing the trail.  We
were wearing long sleeves and long pants.  We didn't use any insect
repellent.  We were grubbing about in the brush clearing the trail, and
each of us got one tick.  We didn't find them until we were home taking
showers.  I had one on top of my shoulder, under a bra strap, and Ray
had one dug deep into his neck!  This is only the second time in 20
years that we have picked up ticks in Section C.
On the trail we met four thrus--Dustin, Adam, Robert, and Mason.  They
all looked clean and happy, having recently zeroed in Big Bear.
We also hiked from Highway 173 to Grass Valley Creek on April 16-17.
Loads of water here.  Trailside Spring was running in gallons per
second.  Grass Valley Creek is a broad but shallow bunch of water to
cross. This creek is a very nice place to camp, by the way.
See y'all at kickoff.
Marion (llamalady)