[pct-l] Camping in Tuolumne/Yosemite

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 23 11:05:47 CDT 2011

Last year our groep got into TM about 5 days after the store opened.  The campground was only partially open.  There is a backpacker campsite on the edge of the "better" campground, but it's less equipped and further from the bathhouse and the store.  We just camped in empty, regular campsites.  We started out just spreading out tents and bags to dry, then kinda set up camp, among the tables, flat tent sites, and bear boxes.

No ranger bothered us.  I'm sure that they had more to worry about at the beginning of tourist season than a few LNT hikers who knew how to use the bear box, did not start a campfire, went to sleep at 7 PM, and were packed up and out an hour after sunrise.

We also camped in the meadow along the river about 4 or 5 miles before TM, and we saw other hikers (non-thrus) camping in various places before we got to TM.  No one asked us for permits, although we all had them.

In the backcountry, I'd be suprised if a ranger even found you, much less challenged you for camping that early in the season.  However, I'd be sure to have a backcountry permit, just in case.

Mango