[pct-l] Andrew Skurka & the infamous JMT Reinhold

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 04:12:50 CDT 2011

Yes Jeff,
Everything you said about Andrew is true...and everything you said about the
"infamous JMT Reinhold" also is true.
Everything you heard about me also is true...the girls all like me...and the
guys (husbands&  boyfriends) all dislike me.
I never could understand that.
You are absolutely right when you said  "you never know what to expect with a
bunch of hikers".
Take "Switchback" for instance, that guy goes around raiding and plundering
innocent hikers....there must be something wrong with him.
I could point out more odd characters, but I do not want to stir up a hornet
nest....stirring up "Switchback" is bad enough.

The infamous JMT Reinhold
-----------------------------

I was very glad to be able to make it out to Andrew's presentation last night.
What a phenomenal journey and an inspiring presentation.  Andrew is a very
talented presenter and obviously the pinnacle of outdoorsmanship.  If you guys
can make it out tomorrow I would very much recommend doing so.

Getting to shake the hand of the man; the myth; the legend was an experience
I'll not soon forget.  Not to mention meeting the infamous JMT Reinhold
himself.  He's just as much a jester in person as he is online and made sure my
wife and I felt welcome (which was convenient as it was my first 'backpacking
event' and I'll admit to a little trepidation.  You just never know what to
expect with a bunch of hikers).  Thanks for posting the information about
Andrew's presentation on this list Reinhold!  I definitely would have missed out
had I not heard about it here.  I very much look forward to learning more from
Andrew tomorrow.

Mildly off topic personal musing because I feel inspired this morning:

I backpacked extensively in the Sierras as a Boy Scout, but in the last three
years since I got my Eagle and aged out of my troop I've only been doing day
hikes and the odd overnight car camping.  When I decided last November that I
want to hike the PCT in 2012 I had no idea what a wealth of information there
was to be found in this community.  Part of my decision to thru hike was the
realization that I only live once, so I should be sure that I'm only doing
things with my life that I want to do.  I can't put stuff off until next time
around.  Luckily for me I married a woman who likes to hike too, otherwise my
recent epiphany could have been problematic.  It was heartening to hear Andrew
describe his decision when he was about my age to forgo the corporate life that
was laid before him and live instead doing the things he loves.  Then waking
this morning to Jackass's posting of the Muir quote reaffirming more or less the
same thing felt oddly prophetic.  I feel like my mindset has placed me in good
company.

I've learned quite a bit from everyone in this community in the last few months
and now seems like an appropriate time to say thank you.  Good luck out there
class of 2011, I look forward to reading your journals!

________________________________
Sent: Fri, April 22, 2011 9:13:12 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Andrew Skurka

Hi gang,
Andrew's talk, last night, about his epic 4700 mile Alaska journey on
foot, skis and pack raft was a smash.
I am still amazed that he survived that amazing journey.......a mere
mortal would not have returned to
tell his story.
Like I said he is an  "American Hiking Icon"  and one of my heroes.
I always had high respect for Andrew, but I have to admit I am in
...."AWE"....of Andrew now.

Say gang, as the KO is getting near there has been a lot of talk and
anxiety about UL backpacking.
Topics have ranged from lighter gear, to dehydrated water, to lowering
the food weight by hikers pre-stocking calories, grazing in the meadows,
herding chickens on a leash and even helium balloons attached to the
hikers pack in a frantic desperate attempt to reduce pack weight in time
for the KO.

GOOD NEWS.....You can still accomplish your goal of becoming a  "UL"
(ultra light) backpacker by attending Andrew's "UL" backpacking clinic
tomorrow, April 23 from 9 -11 AM, at the La Jolla (San Diego) YMCA.
I always have considered myself as UL as can be on my JMT speed
hikes....but you know what?....I will
be at Andrews clinic....why?.....because I also can learn from the
"Master of UL"....so can you.

See you all tomorrow at Andrew's  "UL"  clinic

JMT Reinhold