[pct-l] Sierra mileage

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:14:13 CDT 2011

The first snow that slowed my daily progress down (in the Sierras) was experienced about four to five miles before Forester Pass (Mile 780).  This is when the elevation stayed above 11,000 feet for some time.  Last year it would have been easy to hike a 25 mile day pace all the way from Kennedy Meadows (Mile 704) to just before Tyndall Creek (Mile 775).  This is assuming you were able to do 25+ mile days before arriving at Kennedy Meadows.    The general snow level was at about 11,000 feet at the time I entered the Sierras.  I left Kennedy Meadows on June 16, 2010.

I hiked from Kennedy Meadows (Mile 704) to VVR (Mile 877) non stop in ten days.  I just bought some food at the store at VVR because of the high cost of mailing a package, the postal cost plus handling fee was more than the cost of two days of food.  When I arrived at Reds Meadow 1.5 days later (Mile 907) I again bought some food at the store due to the high handling fee for a package.   Purchasing some food at the small store provided me enough food to make it to Tuolumne Meadows (Mile 941) where I picked up my package at the post office without any additional fee.

Many people took a bus to Mammoth from Reds Meadow to celebrate their successful hike through the Sierras... If I wasn't in such a hurry last year I would have gone into Mammoth.  By the looks of the snow pack this year I would recommend taking some time off in Mammoth.

In summary, when you arrive at Kennedy Meadows you can adjust your resupply plans based on the most current information available.

Good luck and I hope this information helped.

Tangent