[pct-l] shoe replacement

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Apr 20 09:01:08 CDT 2011

I wore my homemade shoes backpacking this weekend. This was a pretty
brutal hike. The soles are separating a little bit, but otherwise the
shoes felt pretty good. I like having perfectly flat soles. I was
sent home in 2008 because the shoes I bought were too curved on the
bottom. My toes pointed up in the air. I got stress fractures.
Montrail Hardrocks. The worst shoes I've ever worn. Took only a
couple hundred miles to send me off the trail. I finished the trail
in 2009 with much more flexible shoes. Now I wear shoes I make myself
and my feet get tired from feeling the rocks a bit more but I don't
get stress fractures and they don't feel like giant blocks of foam
strapped to my feet.

Here's a picture. They are ugly as sin.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/
thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44653

 From what I observed on the trail, people replaced shoes often at
the beginning and middle when the trail had that endless feel to it.
They replaced them less often toward the end when they could see the
light at the end of the tunnel. Some shoes in washington were closer
to sandals, barely held together with dental floss or duct tape.
Anyway, you can feel it when the EVA has lost its mojo. I think EVA
is the devil. Perfect invention to force people to buy shoes before
they are really worn out.