[pct-l] What trail runners are you wearing?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sat Apr 16 11:44:38 CDT 2011

On 4/15/2011 6:22 PM, Kevin Renfrow wrote:
> Was also wondering how much larger you all bought your shoes for the
> trail? 1/2 size or 1 full size larger? I'm sure it varies quite a bit
> between people, so I'm not sure how helpful that'll actually be.

It does vary quite a bit between people, but here is my story.

In 2008 I hiked from the border to Paradise Cafe. I started out with my
usual size shoe. In Warner Springs, I ordered shoes 1/2 size larger and
had them sent to Idyllwild. I did not make it that far, so my shoes were
sent to my home. I have been wearing those shoes up until about a month
ago. When I went in to get a new pair, they didn't have my new size, so
I bought a size larger, and they fit just fine. So I am now wearing 1
1/2 sizes larger than I started the trail, even though my feet measure
1/2 size larger than I started the trail. These are the shoes I should
have started with.

When people suggest you start with shoes 2 sizes larger than your usual
size, take them seriously.