[pct-l] Station Fire Closure

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Thu Apr 14 22:46:53 CDT 2011

Ate Tuna wrote:
> I just found this article:
>
> 3 million trees to be planted in Station fire burn
> area<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-station-fire-20110415,0,7225022.story>
>
> <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-station-fire-20110415,0,7225022.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fnews%2Flocal+%28L.A.+Times+-+California+|+Local+News%29>This
> may seriously change the character of the trail through this area.  I know
> it's not natural, but I do prefer hiking through pines than chapperal.  It
> also worries me that the project is slated to take 5 years.  If it's like a
> local replanting effort, that might mean the area being closed for over 5
> years to give the plantings time to establish themselves.  That's just
> speculation though.  If this is successful, I'd like to hike that section
> again in 20 years.

We were hiking in the spring in section C a year after the Butler Peak
fire, not too long after the trail reopened.  There was a crew out
planting trees along the trail corridor, and the trail was open for
hiking.  I don't think the tree planting will be a factor in the
decision to open or not.  I think the primary consideration will be
safety.  Is the tread safe, and have the hazard trees been cleared so a
burnt dead tree won't fall on a hiker?  If you have hiked through the
Butler Peak fire area, say just south of Little Bear Springs Trail Camp,
then you have seen the huge number of burnt trees that were felled by
the forest service to prevent them from falling on their own schedule,
on top of a hiker. Since each of us gets just one life, I have no
problem with them taking the time to prevent some preventable deaths.