[pct-l] Fwd: TICK ALERT

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:47:20 CDT 2011

Hey Gourmet,

I've seen lots of ticks in my day, but nothing like that Sheep Fire area,
and in Oct!  Go figure.  They were lined up on the twigs sometimes 5 deep.
 It really was creepy, and the worst part of it was, I was all alone, and
without a small mirror to check out the tight spots I couldn't see.  I was
sure every itch was a damn tick!  And I'm not very tick phobic.  Nowhere
else on the entire trail even came close.  Now that I think of it, the only
time I've seen ticks approaching these numbers was the year after the Santa
Barbara fire in the mid '60's, backpacking on the Manzana as a teenager.
 You know the area Diane.  They were never that bad again in subsequent
years.  Maybe they go crazy in recently burned areas.  I don't know, but
that was in spring, the usual season.

Shroomer