[pct-l] TICK ALERT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 12:48:38 CDT 2011

Thought I should mention that I think that this year is an especially bad one
for ticks. A few days ago I rode north from Agua Dulce on Section E.  There were
lots of ticks at and north of Bouquet Canyon. I picked up 8 .  Picked all out
before they got far. Picked 10 off my horse. I was not using insect repellent
- should have brought some. When I rode through S. California in 2008 I never
got even one tick. Then, I was wearing the insect/tick repellent cloths made by
ExOfficio (socks, pants, shirt and hat) - which I was not wearing last week on
Section E. They are worn out after being worn on the trail for over five months
in 2008 & 2009 and having been washed so many times.

So, my advice to hikers this year:  Bring and use lots of repellent in S. Cal. -
or, check out the insect/tick repellent cloths.

MendoRider