[pct-l] hike start dates

Peter Shaw pshaw999 at cox.net
Thu Apr 14 10:55:47 CDT 2011

We just had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. It depends on the pace
you set yourself and how you handle rest stops. I suspect I am in the
minority, but I think mid-May is the best time to start. You miss all the
snow in Southern California and the Sierras will be much easier. You will
slowly catch up the herd. For example, in 2009, an excellent year for a thru
hike because the weather was mostly fantastic except for a freak snow storm
the first week of June in the Sierras. That caused a major backup in Kennedy
Meadows where the early bird hikers were hanging out for a week or more
waiting for the melt.

If you set a pace of 20 mpd which includes all of the time off, then you
will reach Canada in 133 days. So you will still be there before the end of
September. If you want to party at every town then it's unlikely you will be
able to get through Washington before the snow arrives, although that does
seem a lottery because the snow can arrive in September or not until
November. That pace isn't hard to maintain, but it does take a lot of
perseverance to keep it up all the way. You will probably fall back a little
through the Sierras, but there are plenty of sections further north where 28
mile days are quite doable, especially as by then you will be in great
shape.

Peanut Eater