[pct-l] shipping fuel canisters

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Apr 13 08:40:00 CDT 2011

Box, bucket, whatever. It seems to be a misunderstanding that you
have to use the boxes marked priority mail to use the priority mail
service. Any package is priority mail if you pay the priority mail
price. They put a sticker on it. You get the forwarding and the other
perks of priority mail. You can use a bucket, a bear canister or a
box out of a dumpster and still get all the priority mail perks.

The regional rate priority mail is different. That's the one you
order from the internet. The flat rate box is also different. That's
the one you have to use a special box for. But any container can be
plain old priority mail with a sticker and some cash.

By the way, when I would need to forward my bouncables ahead. I would
tell the post office clerk and have my new label ready. She'd go get
the bucket and slap on the new label for me. I had one clerk say I
wasn't eligible for this service. We argued. He relented "for you,
just this once." When I received my package in the next town it had a
letter taped on it from him saying he looked up the regulation and I
was correct and he was sorry for arguing with me.