[pct-l] shipping fuel canisters

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 00:08:12 CDT 2011

It's true for all 1st Class mail, including Priority Mail. I've done it
before. Supposedly there's no limit to the number of free forwards, as long
as you never take possession of it at the PO, let alone open it. This
restriction makes it useful only for bouncing a single use item, like a new
pair of shoes, which once you open the box to retrieve them, you wouldn't
need to bounce the box any more. The other and far more common use is to
have the PO return a resupply box to you if you abort your trip before you
reach the place where you originally shipped the box.

I don't know if that applies to the new regional PM boxes with their reduced
rates.

If your bounce box contains multiple items, you'll have to pay new postage
every time you open it and then bounce the remainder ahead. To me, that's a
waste, plus you have to keep tape and address labels in the box as well. I'd
rather just send a resupply box to each stop. If I don't need what's
everything that's in it, I donate what's left to the hiker barrel or throw
it away.
.