[pct-l] Keeping athlete's foot at bay

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue Apr 12 11:10:55 CDT 2011

Athlete's foot is an infection of the foot with a fungus/mold/yeast (three ways of saying the same thing).

It is invariably a problem with moisture.  The fungus love a moist environment, and will proper therein.

Once the infection has begun, it responds well to a variety of treatments, including the OTC creams sold for the purpose.  I think they have a good weight/treatment ratio, compared especially to liquids.  Also, application is generally painless, whereas things like alcohol hurt like hell.

But, by far the most important, is moisture management.  Washing feet daily, trading out socks at lunch, using sock liners that wick moisture away from feet...these are all good strategies, and protect the feet from other maladies, as well.

Sunlight is a mild disinfectant, but I think the major effect is on drying moisture from the skin.