[pct-l] Esbit stoves and fuel

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 15:44:46 CDT 2011

> Couple of questions:
> How much water will one of the Esbit cubes heat to boiling?
> Using a typical Sierra evening in the summer as a baseline.

Depending on conditions (I always use a windscreen, but even then
wind can make the heating process less efficient - for all fuels),
I can boil 1.5 to 2 cups water for a meal with enough tablet left
to boil another cup for cocoa or tea later...

> Can you "put out" a cube (and how is that done)?

Yes - either blow on it really hard & long, or, easier, 'smother'
it with a piece of aluminum foil...

> Are the Esbit cubes readily available?

As far as while on the PCT, no...  Mail order, yes...

> Can they be shipped?

Yes, but I'm not up on the specifics - fairly certain it's ground
only with ORM-D label...
Check <http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm>...

> Carried on an airplane?

Don't know current specifics with the changing regs the last few
years - used to be able to in checked baggage but that has most
likely changed...  Check TSA & whatever airline you're using...

> They're not expensive u should just go get some and try it out
> before u leave. They are heavy though if ur carrying enough to
> cook with for say seven days, two times a day

Esbit tabs can be the lightest stove/fuel combo if one uses a Ti
"wing stove", aluminum (or Ti) windscreen, and 1/2 ounce tablets -
up to a certain point (# of meals or days)...
Note that Esbit tabs cost more overall 'per meal' than other fuels.
See <http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm>...
Esbits also 'blacken' your pot with a sticky residue (easily
cleaned off at home if wanted) - so use a dedicated bag for your
"cooking kit"...
Esbits have been my preference for some time - but I doubt I would
use them on an entire PCT thru-hike...  Will probably use a combo
of Esbit, gas, & alcohol instead of solely using Esbits...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)