[pct-l] Antishock Trekking Poles

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Apr 10 15:35:21 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Kevin,

Typically, the force applied to a trekking pole is not a pure column load,
meaning not a load applied directly centered on the top end of the grip. The
grip of one’s fist tends to make the entire hand a rigid part of the
pole.  This
is further enhanced when one uses wrist straps.  Under these conditions the
arm force is applied at the center of the wrist joint which is displaced
several inches rearward from the centerline of the pole.  That eccentric,
i.e. off-center, down-force tends to bow the pole forward without any
particular tendency to bend it to either side.  Since the load on the pole
is then asymmetric in the longitudinal direction it is entirely
understandable, from a design standpoint, to make to make the strength of
the pole greater front-to-back vs. side-to-side.    If the long axis of an
elliptical cross-section is in that direction -- good.  If the long axis
were lateral – meaning sideways – I wouldn’t have the foggiest notion what
they are doing.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09