[pct-l] Snow Safety Tip of the Day, #2

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 6 17:33:23 CDT 2011

"Look Up"

This may seem obvious, but when in the thick of it out there, trying to dodge branches, avoid "idiot-makers," weave your way through suncups, or just make it to the latrine, looking up is something not so often done.

I mean you try to do it as often as possible, right? Enjoying the scenery is one of the main reasons we like to run around in the backcountry anyway!

However, when trying to "fly" down the summer trail in order to make the miles you scheduled for the day and still make your trip (or resupply) objective before your food runs out while avoiding rocks and roots and branches and logs and your partner's boot ahead of you, we often pass literal miles of scenery (when you add them up) just looking at the ground near our feet, whether on snow or not. Kind of hard to know whether you're going the right direction over snow if you look up only occasionally.

Below timberline it is necessary to scan the forest floor constantly for "signs of man." Even with ten or twelve feet of snow on the trail, most trees beside the footpath have branches cut to allow equestrian use to pass by, so look for cut branches. Most trails on a side-slope have built-up downhill edges to make the footpath level and with rocks or logs piled up on that downhill edge to keep you from falling off the tread. This built-up retaining wall can still be seen through the snow. It's that meandering, snaky little ridge in the snow wandering through the forest ahead of you. Look for a possible trail corridor through the trees. Look for cut tree trunks, fallen logs, and blasted rock. All Signs of Man.

Above timberline, it is necessary to scan the horizon constantly for landmarks you noticed on your topo that are near the trail. These are certain peaks, paying attention to their shape as recognizable from a distance, bumps on a ridgeline, notches of a Pass, the pattern of the timberline, avalanche slopes as cut in the trees, the shapes and locations of lakes, creeks, and meadows, side canyons, the curvature of the ridge you're following--all things you need to see in order to know where you are.

So, Look Up to stay found!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education