[pct-l] propane resupply

Alphabetsoup alphabetsoupmmm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 20:31:18 CDT 2011

Quoted from an old post by one of the many "Pauls" on the list...

Hope this helps...

2010 Fuel results from memory posted below.   Please correct any errors and
add towns, listed from Mexico to Canada;

Included is some general mile markers before the town stop

1,Campo; Alcohol
43,Mt. Laguna; Alcohol
110,Warner Springs; Alcohol
179,Idyllwild; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
274,Big Bear; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), , white gas
364,Wrightwood; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister),  white gas
455,Agua Dulce; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas (REI side trip
or at Hikerheaven)
559,Mojave; Alcohol
559,Tehachapi; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
652,Lake Isabella; Alcohol
703,Kennedy Meadows; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
745,Lone Pine; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
Bishop; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
877,Vermillion Valley Resort; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
Reds Meadow; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
Mammoth; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
942,Tuolumne Meadows; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
1095,Echo Lake; None
1095,South Tahoe; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
1198,Sierra City; Alcohol
1290,Belden; Alcohol
1378,Old Station; Alcohol
1424,Burney Falls State Park; Alcohol
1424,Town of Burney; Alcohol
1506,Castella; Alcohol
1506,Dunsmuir; Alcohol
Etna; Alcohol
1662,Seiad Valley; Alcohol
1727,Callahans Lodge; None
1727,Ashland; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
1835,Crater Lake; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
1912,Shelter Cove; Alcohol
1958,Elk Lake Resort; None
Sisters; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
2107,Timberline Lodge; None
2155,Cascade Locks; Alcohol
Portland; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
Stabler's County Store; Alcohol
2303,White Pass; Alcohol
Packwood; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas
2402,Snoqualmie Pass; Alcohol
2476,Skykomish; Alcohol
2574,Stehekin; Alcohol, butane/propane (canister), white gas

I personally started with an alcohol stove and switched to a canister stove
at Echo Lake.  I wish I switched earlier.  Canister stoves make cooking so
much more enjoyayble.  I also believe that canister fuel is safer because
the fuel is a gas at room temperature and can't spill causing a fire.  A
fire was started in 2010 due to an alcohol stove and I would hope we could
learn from this.  I would hate to see a repeat of this in 2011.

Obtaining canister fuel was not a problem for me.  I was able to find half
full canisters for free in hiker boxes.  I was also able to purchase
canisters at some town stops.  If more people switch to canisters there will
be more available in hiker boxes and retailers will also be encouraged to
sell them.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Paul

Hikethru.com