[pct-l] SCAQMD Rule 1143 & Denatured Alcohol Question

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Sun Apr 3 15:51:47 CDT 2011

Donna--

I reading from the rule, as published here:

http://www.aqmd.gov/rules/reg/reg11/r1143.pdf

With amendments through 3 Dec 2010. Specifically, I'm basing my comments
on R1143(a)(2), wihch seems to exclude products that display specific
end-use instructions, functions or specifications.

First, I don't think that Esbit or solid-type fuels are affected.
They're solid, so they don't evaporate. I also don't think sterno or MSR
type canisters would be affected, since they only have a non-solvent
end-use.

My guess is that because denatured alcohol has both solvent and
non-solvent end-uses, is where it gets a little cloudy, and I suspect
that no distributor or re-seller wants to take a chance. I don't see any
penalties specified in Rule 1143, but I suspect they may be steep.

As a practical matter, even if denatured alcohol specifically labeled as
"marine fuel" or "stove fuel" is not covered by this rule, if no
distributor is willing to sell it to your hardware store, it doesn't
matter. And it would probably take a court case to sort it out.

Other than HEET, I find it unlikely that there will be a
readily-available liquid fuel for cat-can / soda-can type stoves, if
"marine stove fuel" cannot be obtained. A low-VOC formulation means that
there are a lot of things in that liquid that are not "volatile organic
compounds", and most likely, won't burn or won't burn readily.

--Greg