[pct-l] Recall of SPOT

Mike Schaeffer chiefrat2006 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 12:24:36 CDT 2011

I just got a call from SPOT.  I pleaded my case to them and they bought my
story.  A new SPOT is on its way by Fed Ex to arrive the day before I leave.
They are trusting me on the honor system to return the old SPOT.

I thought the timing was really bad announcing a recall on a Friday.  I didn't
expect any help on the weekend.  It was a real surprise when he called on
Saturday.  If the recall had been a day later, I wouldn't have had the SPOT in
time and would have had to get it mailed to me somewhere in SoCal.  Now I'll
have it the first night out on the trail.  That way from Lake Morena I can send
home a message to my wife so she'll know I've hiked a whole day without being
eaten by a bear or mountain lion, bitten by a rattlesnake, robbed by aliens, or
had any other bad things happen.

Mike Schaeffer
AT '78
PCT '11