[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings ( Chris "Chance" dePolo)

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:23:31 CDT 2011

All great in theory until you slip, hit your head on a rock, and are
unconscious. I suspect you won't get that hip belt unbuckled at that point.
Then that wonderfully buoyant bear can will keep the pack on top of the
water and put your body facing down into the water.

I agree with everyone saying they prefer the stability of having the belt
buckled, but I disagree with the belief that you will be able to unbuckle it
easily in an emergency. I don't know about the rest of you, but I use my
trekking poles when I cross rivers. If those are in my hands, or strapped to
my wrists, I may have trouble getting a hand to that buckle.

In the end, we all have to do whatever we're most comfortable with. Just be
aware of the potential risks associated with whatever you're attempting. I
will decide whether or not to unbuckle my hip belt on a case by case basis.
;)