[pct-l] Hood and Rainier on a Thru-hike

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 1 10:40:42 CDT 2011

Good morning, Sam,

Mt. Hood can be climbed during the PCT thru-hiking season, but August isn’t
the best time to do so.  Depending upon the season and the weather Hood can
be a walk-up or a killer. Please see:
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-hood/150189

For a hiker who likes to bag peaks there is another very interesting – and
often overlooked – opportunity in Oregon:  Mt. Thielsen, near the PCT just
north of Crater Lake. http://www.summitpost.org/mount-thielsen/150419  It’s
only about 9,000 ft. elevation but it is rugged near the top and it has a
very small and satisfying, summit – literally about the large enough to park
a VW.  Exposure off the summit, particularly the north side, is enough to
make a mountain goat puke.

Also in Oregon is Mt Jefferson
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-jefferson-oregon/150576, but although it is
near the trail it isn’t often climbed by PCT hikers.  Alpine gear is
necessary and being in a Wilderness Area it’s away from easy availability of
such gear.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09