[pct-l] Hood and Rainier on a Thru-hike

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:13:35 CDT 2011

It's not really recommended to do Hood that late in the season, although I
know someone who did it. I (along with two other PCT '11 thrus, Chris Clark
and Wayne Ciullo, and one other) did it mid-April of last year. There was
enough snow on it to keep most things firmly in place, but the ice cornices
are scary and I would hate to be below them when it's above freezing. It was
freaky enough as it is.

Hood can be done in a day (or night). The most popular route starts at
Timberline and then splits and either goes up the Pearly Gates (ice climbing
route) or up through the cornices to the left. We did the cornices, started
at around 11 pm and got to the top to see the sun peeking over the horizon.
I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach, it took my breath away so much.

If you don't have tons of peaks under your belt and a lot of glacier
experience, you need a guide for Rainier. Chance of success at the best time
of year is 50% (weather turns nasty really quick). I know a guy who's been
training for it for two years. He led us up Hood, and still hasn't done
Rainier. People climb Rainier to practice for Everest.

I would recommend Mt. Adams. It's an easier climb compared to the other two,
but it's tons and tons of fun. It's great that time of year, too. I know
it's not the highest peak in any state, but it's still higher than Hood.

Check out cascadeclimbers.com. They'll be able to answer your questions more
accurately than I can. The climb you want for Hood is South Side.

Good luck!