[pct-l] Food Stuff Sack size?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 1 10:08:32 CDT 2011

Good morning, Eric,

I sew my own food bags from SilNylon, so they aren’t always the same size,
and often the dimensions are determined by the size of the scraps from which
such sacks are made.

Currently, I carry three cylindrical, draw-string, food sacks for a normal
resupply period, which are 7.50” in diameter, and 14.50” overall length.  After
the drawstring puckers one end, the net, effective length is about
10.75”.  That
results in an approximate volume of 7.8 liters.

Three sacks of that size may seem to have too much volume – particularly
compared to the volume of one bear ‘can – but they are rarely full, even
immediately after resupply.  When loading my pack I find it much easier and
more convenient to locate sacks when they aren’t totally full.  When
partially full they can somewhat bend and mold to the space available in the
pack with a minimum of lost space.  A totally full cylindrical shape always
seems to have some unused space, even when stuffed among other compliant
items; and one large, totally full sack is a pain to pack.

I use one of the sacks for day-food.  In camp I select the next day’s food,
put it in a separate sack, and locate that sack near the top of the pack
where it’s easily accessible.  My day-food selection is significantly eased
when I resupply by means of a box sent from home because my communication
and logistics manager – wife – selects my food by day, and for her
convenience she puts each day’s food in a separate plastic grocery bag.  If
space is really tight -- as when I use the ‘can -- I dump everything out and
re-pack, but usually I just keep everything the way she sent it.  The other
sack(s) can be buried lower in the pack below the water sack(s), etc.

I don’t try to fill the sacks by food category, such as breakfasts, lunches,
dinners, snacks, etc. but some hikers do so.

Enjoy your hiking season,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09