[pct-l] solo female thru-hiker

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Mon Sep 27 15:20:14 CDT 2010

On 9/27/2010 3:30 AM, Malloree Weinheimer wrote:
> hi, i'm planning to hike the pct this 2011 season and i'm slowly
> realizing that i'm probably going to be doing a good chunk of it
> solo. i'm a single female in my mid twenties and my mom almost had a
> heart attack when she learned that i might be doing this alone. i am
> okay with this, and actually would really like to tackle much of it
> solo. can anyone tell me what to expect? any advice? i've been
> thinking about this a lot, especially as far as safety goes and i'd
> like to get as much input and advice to prepare as i can.
>
> aside from general information and advice, i had a few specific
> questions as well; -as far as safety goes, what to bring for defense,
> if anything? i'm more concerned about safety from humans than
> wildlife.

Don't. You won't need it. Nearly everyone you meet on the trail will be
OK. Your biggest problems, if you encounter any problems at all, will be
in areas near highway crossings. Keeps your wits about you, trust your
instincts, and hike with a friend if that helps you feel secure. You
will be fine.

> -and, are there any other solo hikers out there for the season that
> might be interested in something like a buddy/support system?

If you start anywhere near the last weekend in April, you will encounter
many solo hikers. Some you will connect with. Others you won't connect
with. Some you may decide to hike with. Even if you don't choose to hike
with a buddy, you will find yourself leapfrogging other hikers who will
be looking out for you. That is just what the trail community is like.

> -as the trail gets more popular and since there is a window of
> opportunity to hike it in, how many people do you run into on the
> trail per day, or are aware of in your area (in case of emergency, or
> whatever)? less than five? more than five?

Since most PCT hikers travel in the same direction at about the same
speed, there will be more people out there than you will be aware of.
The only times you will see many of them is in town, or on the trail if
you take long breaks or camp in popular areas. I started about a week
behind the herd in 2008 (I aborted my thru attempt at mile 151), and I
saw perhaps 5 people on average on any one day on the trail. I
encountered a lot more people than that in Warner Springs, which tells
me that they were out there, but they were either far enough ahead of me
or behind me that I didn't see them on the trail. If you encounter a
problem, just stay put, and someone is likely to come by.