[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Sep 20 14:47:10 CDT 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:14 PM, greg mushial wrote:
> Sorry: but  :-)  means that you'd be happy to de exactly what you
> said - to
> promote it where you can... (ie, picking a fight, posting such on a
> hiker's
> board), on the otherhand, if you had used  ;-)   (a wink) then you
> would
> have been understood, and in all likelyhood would not have provoked
> the
> for
> others).

It doesn't surprise me to find that different people interpret emoticons
differently. The distinction that you authoritatively declare doesn't
really exist in my mind.

A smiley has been an indicator for satire, jest, and joking, for as
long as
I can remember seeing it and using it. For me that goes back 27 years to
just a year after the smiley was coined in 1982.

Satire, even when done in person with all the associated body
language, can
be overlooked or misinterpreted.  You have to be doubly-careful with
textual communication.

Satire can also be used to cover up a faux pas and so someone
later claiming to be satirical doesn't necessarily have to be taken at
face value.

As I said previously, we would all be better off if we ratcheted down
the
rhetoric a notch or two and were a little more generous in our
assumptions
of other people's motivations.

With regard to the hiker/biker wars in certain areas.  It seems to me
that
a small minority of bad actors (probably on both sides) have
succeeded in
poisoning the sense of community on those trails.  It really doesn't
take
a lot of miscreants in a community for this to happen.

Radar