[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 18 10:59:51 CDT 2010

I am adamantly opposed to mountain bikes on the PCT.

That said, as a mountain biker, I can tell you that road riding (touring
bikes) and mountain biking are entirely different sports. There is no
comparison, and riding a mountain bike on a paved road is pointless; that's
not what they're built for. For mountain bikers, paved roads are BORING, and
we deliberately seek out rocks, roots, and ruts (aka technical challenges).
The young boneheads (who appear to believe that they're invincible -- ah,
youth and the Darwin Theory) love single-track and aren't afraid of breaking
bones and wear scrapes and bruises as a badge of honor.  Consequently the
PCT and other foot trails have enormous appeal to them.

Personally, I stay off foot trails, and prefer big climbs on unpaved fire or
logging roads, and often ride in OHV areas, but those roads lack sufficient
thrills for many mountain bikers. I will not join any mountain biking
organization because I'm against this "bikes everywhere" mentality. I do not
want a mountain biker silently approaching around a blind turn on a narrow
ledge when I am hiking or riding my horses.

Unfortunately as a political and activist group the mountain bikers are
organized, well-funded, and have a political agenda to allow mountain bikes
on ALL trails. It's big business, with many mountain ski resorts offering
and promoting mountain biking as an attraction. The question is whether they
are powerful enough to bring about amendment the National Trails Act which
defines the uses of the trails within the system.

Bottom line, the PCT and PCTA, with its designation as a private partner to
the USFS in maintaining the trail, has many challenges.  They need all the
support we can give to protect the trail from unwanted uses like this one .
. . and logging, mining, roads, utilities, residential development, natural
disasters . . .

L-Rod

www.pcta.org/donate