[pct-l] CA Section C

Phil Baily pkbaily at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 18:14:45 CDT 2010

I agree with most of the previous comments, but here is my 2 cents. You can pretty accurately look at the cumulative gain or downhill and the steepness using the Pacific Crest Trail Data Book. My recollection from having walked Section C several years ago is that the most significant continuos elevation change is going up northbound from I-10 (Tamarack Road) at the southern (or eastern) end of the section to Onyx Summit. This is about 7000 feet over 40 miles. Therefore, going SOBO avoids the strongest uphill.

Pieces