[pct-l] Downhill sections nobo vs sobo

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 16 17:44:08 CDT 2010

One thing to keep in mind is that for sections where the trail trends
N-S (some trend E-W), you will have more sun in your face hiking
SOBO. But, you will also climb in the shade more often.

I think in the end, it more or less evens out, especially if you're
hiking a long distance. To a long distance hiker, it really makes no
difference. I met someone in Section M who warned me about a (*gasp*)
1200 foot climb coming up. She was resting up for it with her
buddies. I thanked her but thought to myself, who cares? I have to
climb it anyway. And then I'll have to go down. Downhill sucks most,
in my opinion.

Same thing happens with gear, by the way. I remember meeting a
section hiker in Oregon who was so excited to see someone with
ultralight gear. He really really wanted to talk with me about
ultralight gear. All I cared about was food. Gear is gear. Now food,
on the other hand. That's IMPORTANT!

Same thing happens with the views, too. Met Billy Goat on the trail
and we talked for 5 minutes about the beauty of the trail and for
half an hour about food. The ratio of adjectives about food to
adjectives about views was very strongly in favor of food.

Diane