[pct-l] Boots?

Jeffrey Haas coopermacjill at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:13:17 CDT 2010

If you go to an outfitter that knows how to fit boots, you will be fine.  From my perspective the problem is there aren't many of them.  They have classes clinics for how to fit boots, account for swelling, how to lace boots.  A real good outfitter and boot fitter will have this knowledge.

Personally I stay away from outfitters at malls and don't want someone who looks like this is their summer job.  I always spend time asking them about their fitting experience.  How many years, how many clinics they've attended, what types of lacing they prefer for different scenarios?  You can quickly ascertain their level of experience and level of credibility.  A good outfitter won't put someone in the boot section unless they're properly trained.  Once you find a good outfitter they're worth their weight in gold and well worth a travel of lots of hours to get boots that fit.

My last pair of La Sportiva Makula's didn't fit out of the box, but the gentleman at the store had tools to help shape the boot and ensure the boot fit my foot instead of my foot fitting the boot.

If you live on the east coast I can suggest three outfitters:
Nestors outside of Philadelphia
Limmer Boot company in NH
the outfitter at Neel's Gap on the AT in Georgia

I haven't used the outfitter in Damascus VA, but have heard real good things about them.  I know this may sound silly, but I would drive 10 to 15 hours to get a good boot fitting and avoid having my feet mold a boot.  The pain associated with feet having to mold a boot just isn't fun.

Peace