[pct-l] Platypus Content

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Sep 14 21:55:16 CDT 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 5:41 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> icckk!! I find camelbacks and containiers with this tube sucking very
> revolting. I am sure it is why hikers get giardia likesymptoms
> today!  I
> figured this wierd water bladder sucking fad woulda ended years
> ago...grosss!!! so unseventieslike!! I only use bottles and
> platypus without
> sucking tubes and all the gross gross that goes with this
> grossness...iccckkk!!

But how do you REALLY feel about this?

It's really not gross. It's actually quite hygienic if you think
about it. There's no backwash. There's no lips and tongue on the top
of the bottle. It's much like a straw. I bounced my bottle brushes
(one for the container, one skinny one for the tube) in my bounce box
so that I could clean them periodically. I also had a cap for the end
so that I didn't set it down in any cow pies or dirty bathroom
puddles. You can buy a cap (the camelback one does not work well) or
you can make one from a film canister or other similar container.
Best if the lid flips off (stays attached) and doesn't come off
completely.