[pct-l] differentiation by weight only

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 4 09:22:11 CDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 7:02 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Do PCT hikers choose their gear based on weight only as Scott implies?
>
>> If you could choose between a 7 pound name brand backpack, and a 2
>> pound
>> cottage industry backpack that is designed for long distance
>> backpacking, which would you choose?
>
> I wouldn't want something statistically lighter than anything
> comparable if it,
>
> --was uncomfortable (thinking packs, pads)

I used three different packs throughout my trip. I started with a
light pack that was very uncomfortable and didn't hold the weight of
my gear well. I traded for a 3+lb Osprey pack that was very
comfortable. Later I traded again for a 1lb Gossamer Gear pack that
was not as comfortable but it was good enough because that 2lb saved
really did help. Along with another 7lb I shaved off, I was able to
hike so much more comfortable, no foot pain, no fatigue, longer
miles, more happiness during the hiking part of the day.

> --fell apart too soon requiring frequent replacement (thinking
> clothing or shoes)
I don't buy clothing based on durability but on whether it keeps me
comfortable at a wide range of temperatures. I do not like to carry
extra clothing. Nevertheless, I'm still using some of the clothing I
wore on my pct hikes. As for shoes, I would rather replace my shoes
frequently than have to go to the hospital for foot surgery.

> --historically caught tables and forests on fire (thinking alcohol
> stoves)
Fires were started by people burning TP. We should ban the use of TP.

> --didn't keep me warm enough on enough nights (sleeping bags)
Sleeping bags should be purchased on temperature rating not on the
weight of the bag. Get verification from others whether the
temperature rating seems reasonably accurate. You don't need a zero
degree bag for the one night on the trail that might be zero degrees.
You can use your down jacket to extend your comfort zone inside the
bag. It is better to use your gear than leave it in a pile by your feet.

> --was difficult to use, comparatively (small-mouthed plastic soda
> bottles as canteens)
Many consumer plastic containers have wide-mouths.

> --or was unsafe (twist-locked hiking poles)
Over 3000 miles with one pair of twist-lock hiking poles without
incident.

> I would think that PCT hikers would want the lightest version of
> something and still retain
> --comfort
> --durability
> --ease of use
> --safety

Yes, that is what we do.

> Isn't that what we're really saying? To select something based on
> weight alone is asking for serious compromise somewhere...

No, what we are trying to tell you is that to select something based
on heavy weight alone does not guarantee comfort, durability, ease of
use or safety. And to choose heavier gear when lighter gear will get
you all these things is to almost guarantee you will not complete a
thru-hike.