[pct-l] differentiation by weight only

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Fri Sep 3 23:50:34 CDT 2010

Ned,

It isn't that I don't appreciate your points and I agree with some of what you are saying; especially if I was heading out in more winter like conditions.  What you do works for you so there probably isn't a reason for you to change.  But for me, while its not weight alone, weight certainly has a higher priority then most things (which is why I have a spreadsheet with everything weighed).  If it isn't lighter then what I currently have, whats the incentive to change my current gear for it?  But just because its lighter doesn't mean its better.  But just because its heavier doesn't mean its better either.  It depends on what criteria one uses as to what is the best choice.

Durability isn't as high of a priority as long as it will last awhile if I take reasonable care of it.  I'm not looking for a lifetime guarentee since I'll likely change it within 2 years anyway for the next latest lighter thing (there is a reason why I could outfit a small scout troop with my extra gear).    But with the newer materials, lighterweight doesn't always mean it will fall apart if I throw it down.  My very light cuben fiber tarp seems as durable as any of the sil-nylon ones (and it doesn't sag when wet).  But yeah, I did have to replace my shoes every 700-800 miles for foot comfort since the internal structure was breaking down.  A boot would have definitely lasted longer, but I would have sacrificed some foot comfort in this case for more durability.

And Comfort doesn't always have to be sacrificed to save weight.  I sleep better on my 3.5oz Torso Pad from Gossemer Gear then I ever did on my late 90's era full length inflatible therma-rest despite it weighing a full pound more.  I do have to replace the foam pad every 700-1000miles since the egg crate pattern collapses, but at $12-14, so what.  My ULA backpack isn't the lightest weight option, but it is lighter then many brand name packs, very durable and comfortable to carry if you stay in the weight limits specified on their website ( I didn't find this hard to do).

I never was cold while hiking or sleeping.  My 19oz GoLite down quilt + 8oz bivy sack (included in my <1 pound shelter weight) was more then warm enough when it snowed in early october.  In fact, the bivy sack was warmer to sleep in then a tent would have been since there is less air to warm (the tarp keeps the rain/snow off it though more care is needed when pitching)  And my 5oz Montbell down jacket was actually too hot to actually hike in even when the temps was in the low 30's, though it made a comfortable pillow at night and was nice to wear while breaking down camp.

It wasn't like I didn't consider some safety aspects when I choose Alcohol and realized that I had to be more cautious in its use (maybe even not use it at all that night).  In this case, ease of use and  finding fuel was much easier then if I carried a cannister or the old white gas whisperlite stoves.  Almost every supply location had a source for denature alcohol or the yellow bottle HEET.  That wasn't the case with some of the other fuel types.

Yeah, those small mouth soft sided playpus bottles are a pain to fill.  Thats why I always carried at least one wider mouth Gatoraid bottle to use to fill the narrower mouth bottles with.  I only add drink mixes to the wider mouth bottles for the same reason as its too hard to get all the powder in the narrow mouth ones.  I've only had narrow mouthed canteens so I don't see the advantage other then being hardsided and heavier.

I've never had a trekking pole that didn't collapse at some point (both twist lock and external locking) with the exception of my 3.5oz/pole Titanium Goat Poles.  I did find it weird that the less durable looking poles worked better for me and unlike my REI or Komperdel brand poles, hasn't had a part break despite more miles on them.  I do suspect some else's experience may vary from mine.  I did choose them solely for the weight aspects and the long term comfort for the hands is sacrificed and I had thought durability as well (it just hasn't proven to be the case so far).

Sure there are compromises for saving weight, but as long as you know what they are and can live with it, then go for it.  In my opinion, being able to hike more comfortably makes up for much of it.  But there are places and situations where a heavier version of something is warranted.  Just know your gear and its limitations and don't exceed it and you'll be fine.  That is the issue.  Some lighter gear is a direct replacement on its heavier counterpart and requires no additional care or knowledge to properly use.  But some lighter gear does need more care and knowledge and if the owner can't be bothered to learn or use it within its limitations, then we have a problem in the making (and possibly a good campfire story).

-Miner