[pct-l] Body, Soul, and Spirit Prep.

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Sep 3 14:18:07 CDT 2010

Len makes a really good point,

There is a way to prepare/train the body for the rigors of hiking (largely by pre-hiking), but how do you prepare the mind, emotions, and spirit for it? Comments thus far are true, too, many thrus do drop off the trail (whether briefly or for the season) because of disillusion, loneliness, monotony, or they found what they went there to find (in themselves).

So that your next thru hike is a successful one (doesn't necessarily mean making it from border to border), how do you adequately prepare your soul and spirit for the long trail? Hike another long trail and see how you do, someone said. Of course.

I don't know the PCT completion percentages for those who have hiked a thru before versus those who were brand new at it, but we're most interested in helping the latter be realistically prepared so that they have a great, fun, and safe trip. So, for them, the long-trail-novices, how do you realize what the trail does to you without actually putting yourself out there?

Not everyone can start by hiking the AT or another shorter trail that requires months to complete in order find out whether they have it within themselves to complete a trip like the PCT or CDT, but you gotta start somewhere. So, get out there and do a series of hikes that grow longer until you've learned enough about yourself to decide that you're ready for "the big" versions. Some have it and some don't. Take trips of two to four weeks and find out. Sure, this length is not the same as one of twenty weeks, but you may learn enough to make the leap!

How many leave the trail, a dream for many, for body vs. soul vs. spirit reasons? We need past hikers to speak up and tell the group whether they did and what they learned in the process so that future hikers can be better prepared for the realities ahead.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150