[pct-l] Fw: Choices and Completion Rates

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Sep 3 13:09:11 CDT 2010

>From Meadow Ed:

Ned
Well you might be on to something here with your ? to greg... lets ask  some
other 70 hikers if they know the # of folks they saw on the trail then and
who finished to get an understanding of the old #s game....
I think it was a different mind set back then even without all the new
gadgets hikers have.... I know back in 96/97 if folks reached as far north
as KMdws most of them finished... even in this post today you  and Brick are
coming up with different %s of finishers..... also keep in mind that well we
read that folks get off the trail for one reason or another we rarely see
when in a year or two they do indeed complete their hike hense the thru hike
#s are always off to a degree.....

Are the new hikers less apt to stay the course these days in spite of all
the high tec gear they carry and is the mentality of the latest class of
hikers changed then a decade or so ago..... i can say i didn't hear much
about fires stopping hikers back in the mid 90s either....It used to be the
only record was kept in the 7o/8o/90s was the depth of the snow in
relationship to the # of finishers....

You still see some folks will post that the # of finishers are up into the
70/80 % but i always ? that #... Most but by no means all of the old hikers
did not skip around the trail unlike today where folks skip ahead for almost
any reason.... lets be real and see how many folks went all the way this
year to Keneddy Meadows without skipping around Fuller Ridge....

Ned my Computer is messed up and well i can answer your post i cann't get on
PCTL so maby you can repost my comment.....

Meadow Ed

--- On Thu, 9/2/10, ned at mountaineducation.org <ned at mountaineducation.org>