[pct-l] Choices and Completion Rates

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 12:27:47 CDT 2010

I would never judge a person's reasoning for dropping out. There are so many factors that could contribute to that difficult decision.

There's been a lot of talk about equipment, injuries, and getting prepared physically.

Do not underestimate the need to get prepared mentally.

The thoughts of living in the wild, being one with nature, not having to punch a clock, not sitting in freeway gridlocks, etc. offer motivation during the planning. ("No TV? No problem!")

But what happens when reality hits, when you wake up in cold, rainy weather, you can't afford a zero, and the destination immediately ahead is nothing to write home about? How do you push ahead when your body is tired, and aching? How do you -- gasp -- look forward to a dinner of Ramen noodles for the 18th day in a row?

How do you prepare yourself mentally for the challenge?

What might be interesting to survey is the number of completions made by hikers who, by coincidence, were competitive athletes. I know I drew from my experience as a high school cross country runner on my 1980 trek. Who would have known that those 12-mile training runs in the Mojave desert without a water break would have paid off later in life.
Ernie Castillo
erniec01 at hotmail.com
248 884 5201