[pct-l] After Action Report - Eastern Sierra & PCT Expedition

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 12:45:01 CDT 2010

I recall that the tallest mountain on our planet above its base and also above
sea level is Denali - even higher than Everest!  Its summit is about 16,000 feet
above its base while Everest rises a little less than 15,000 feet above its
base.  I learned that when four of us were planning and preparing to attempt
to climb Denali (then called McKinley) in the early 1980's.  We were not
planning to climb from the base.  We had decided to be flown in to about 9000
feet by helicopter - rather than trek across the mosquito infested muskeg.  The
expedition was aborted when our leader was diagnosed with a heart murmur.

MendoRider