[pct-l] Backpacks

Ron Dye chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Thu Oct 28 20:59:37 CDT 2010

I can't find the original post  so will jump in here on Bill's post.

In the earlier post there was a question about HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary
Edema).  I would like to offer my experience with HAPE in the hopes others
will not fall victim to this insidious condition.

I have had HAPE on three occasions.  On the first two I was in the San
Jacintos on weekend trips and experienced shortness of breath and headache.
I wrote it off to altitude and completed the trips.  On returning to the
desert where I lived I continued to have difficulty breathing.  I went to my
doctor in Palm Springs (elevation 200') and he diagnosed PNEUMONIA and
treated accordingly.  Of course, since I had descended, I recovered.

My third experience gave me my education.  We entered the Sierras at
Tuolumne Meadows hoping to come out at Reds Meadows.  There was NO
acclimation.  First day we hiked to Booth lake (about 10,000') and the
second day ended up at Evelyn (near Vogelsang) .  During the night, I did
not sleep at all.  I had what felt like a post-nasal drip and I coughed
about every 10 to 15 seconds.  In the morning I had the good sense to eat
breakfast, swallowed some amoxicillin (antibiotic to fight what I was sure
was "pneumonia" again).  We decided I was too ill to continue and started
back toward Tuolumne Meadows.  My buddy helped lighten my pack and by the
time I hit the Tuolumne River area (about 3 miles from the trailhead) I was
walking into trees.  I thought I should take a nap and would feel better - I
was taking antibiotics for the "pneumonia" after all.  My buddy forced the
issue and we continued.  He went ahead, returned and carried my pack the
last mile or two.  We went to Mammoth to retrieve our ride and while eating
dinner I attempted to go to a phone.  I found I couldn't make it across the
room.  We returned to the campground and after a shower which completely
exhausted me, I decided it was time to find a hospital.  When I told the ER
nurse I thought I had pneumonia, she said "sure" and tested my oxygen level.
I was at 41%.  An immediate infusion of oxygen helped me feel better and the
doctor told me I had HAPE and needed an ambulance ride to Bishop (elevation
4,000').  When I hesitated (I wasn't bleeding nor had a broken leg did I?),
the nurse, a true angel, told me if I didn't go I was the dumbest SOB she
had ever met.  She said I was an hour from going comatose and two hours from
death.

Obviously I wentto Bishop and spent three days sucking oxygen and drinking
water.

LESSONS LEARNED:

	Acclimate - at least 24 hours at about 7,000' doing NOTHING.
	Hydrate - drink lots and lots of water starting a day before you
hike.
	Take a precautionary dose of Diamox (caution - do not take with
aspirin) if you are prone to HAPE.
	Watch those around you.  They may be in serious trouble and not
realize it.  The illness does not "hurt" and other than the bothersome
coughing I didn't feel poorly until I got very 	weak.
	Descend - That is the ONLY CURE for HAPE.  Oxygen and hydration will
speed the recovery but the hiker MUST DESCEND.

I have hiked my entire life and spent considerable time in the Sierras.  I
believe I aggravated my propensity toward this condition by no acclimating
prior to ascending.  Doctors weren't sure if having experienced HAPE would
make me more susceptible in future hikes, but it does not appear to have had
that effect.

Hope this helps someone.

Ron "Burning Daylight"
PCT Class of '09

Ps  If you watched "Vertical Limit" the scene in the ice crevasse accurately
depicts what HAPE will look like.