[pct-l] Backpacks

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Thu Oct 28 13:31:51 CDT 2010

With a big load in any pack, the important thing is to get the waist/hip belt adjusted properly.  After that, almost no load was on my shoulders and no additional padding was required.

At 40 pounds, I did 4.5 miles and 2000 feet of elevation gain (with a very bum knee, another story) and felt I could have gone all day.

At 50 pounds, I didn't have too far to go (less than 3 miles) and did feel that I was exceeding the ability of the suspension to distribute the weight.

The pack is awesome at 30 pounds and can be under packed as well.  It has a good compression system and also has two clips inside the pack that allow you to close off the bottom third of the main compartment to coincide with the compression for carrying much smaller loads.

BillB