[pct-l] pole maintance

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Wed Oct 27 22:17:04 CDT 2010

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Amanda L Silvestri <aslive at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [pct-l] pole maintance
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> The rubber handle on one of my tracking poles has come loose and has slid
> about three inches down the pole shaft.  I can nudge it back up but it
> keeps working it's way back down again.  I want to secure it.  For
> adhering rubber to metal would rubber cement, an A/B epoxy, hot glue or
> some other adhesive be the best way to go?
>
> Shepherd

3M weatherstripping adhesive - wonderful stuff, but instant death on beards
:-)  ;-(     Slide the handle down as far as it'll go, apply a thin coat to
the handle, then slide the handle back up into it's normal place; clean up
any excess immediately; let stand for 24hrs. Normally they tell you to coat
both surfaces, let dry until tacky, then join two surfaces... but in your
case, you'd never get the handle back up. It's designed to glueing
automotive weatherstripping (rubber) to metal - is waterproof, generally
will outlast the weatherstripping. Generally can find it at automotive
supply stores. Just a heads up: it tends to separate - the yellow stuff is
the glue, the clear is not. But if you stand the tube on its head for 24hrs
before using it, you'll get mostly yellow when you squeeze the tube. You can
try massaging the tube to mix the two parts...  but generally all that does
for me is to make for little tears in the tube which leak. GooGone seems to
be about the only stuff that'll get it off hands - the other choice is to
simply wear it off. Nasty stuff - works wonderfully  ;-)

TheDuck