[pct-l] Recharging electronic devices while out hiking

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Wed Oct 27 16:35:20 CDT 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:06:08 -0700
> From: John Abela <pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Recharging electronic devices while out hiking
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> http://www.npowerpeg.com/personalenergy/specs
>
> This page states that it produces 2.5 watts.
>
> That is pretty much half of what most smartphones these days require to
> charge.
>
> My iPhone pulls a constant 5.0 watts during recharging (as does a kindle)

You need to be careful in how you read the website. If you do the physics,
it appears that the generator generates something in the 30-50ma range,
which is stored in the 1000mAh battery - which is in fact what is used to
charge your device. For it to "generate 2.5 watts"... you wouldn't want to
carry the beast. Personally I've gone a similar route, but with solar, ie,
use small flexible 2oz waterproof panels sewn to the back of my pack (seems
I'm mostly a NoBo hiker), which charge batteries, which are then used to
charge a phone and flashlights. The principle is the same: gather a little
charge here, a little there, and then pretend to be a USB port when it comes
to recharging devices which are used to/expect such. The next step in this
experimentation is to learn which phones will accept a trickle charge,
thereby eliminating the need for the intermediate storage battery, and the
associated weight. Some phones expect and will only work with a 500ma
capable "USB" port - one Nokia (N5230) seems to be happy down to the 30ma
range...  but I have a lot more work to do on this (time permitting). [one
discovery I've made is: at 10-15ma, 9v NiMH batteries can't be overcharged
(cooked/destroyed), ie, one can leave them connected all day, not worry
about charging/autodisconnect electronics, and simply unplug them and use
them at night - which is sweet, ie, less electronics involved, less to fail,
and less weight, though only an oz or two.]
TheDuck