[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

Halfmile list at lon.net
Sat Oct 23 19:39:43 CDT 2010

I won't add to the water treatment debate, since so much as already
been posted about it, but I will make two comments.

1) I'm not sure about 2010, but for several years before that, a
surprisingly number of hikers have been sickened with Giardia-like
illness a week or two after leaving Kennedy Meadows. I think it would
be prudent for hikers to be especially cautious with water in Section
G [starts at Walker Pass], including any water that comes from faucets
in Kennedy Meadows.

2) I doubt many hikers use iodine tablets any more, but if for some
reason you decide to try them, make sure your system doesn't react
badly to them. In the days before Aqua Mira drops, twice I took
friends on trips and they felt bad after drinking water treated with
iodine. Some folks apparently don't react well to it.

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net