[pct-l] Volunteer/angel opportunity

William A. Chavez wctrekker at dslextreme.com
Sat Oct 23 10:27:02 CDT 2010

Last week I volunteered to be a part of a "trail crew."  I worked for
a few days with some amazing young adults ages 19-30.

PCTA sent out a list of opportunities at various locations.  The work
was to be done in conjunction with the "Student Conservation
Association" (SCA), I chose what appeared to be the "easiest"
assignment ( It wasn't easy).  Here are a few suggestions:

The crew worked from 8-5 and then came back to prepare their own
meal.  They are very self sufficient but grateful for anything they
can get.  It seemed to me that there may be people out there that
wouldn't mind preparing a meal(s), they have the supplies etc., for
the crew (about 8-10 people).  Depending on the location you might
have to hike in a few miles but I bet they would be thankful for even
one meal(I would suggest dinner).  The crew is most appreciative for
anything the volunteers do.  Every person on that crew thanked me for
my work, which wasn't much, multiple times. Those young men and women
worked like "slaves" without complaint.  You would be very proud and
impressed with today's youth had you seen them in operation.

They(the crew I was with) could use some new chairs,the folding type
camp chairs.

Last keep an "eye out" for their locations, through PCTA.  Perhaps
you live in the area and can provide a place for one or two to rest
(two of the crew were ill and "hung out" in their tents or their
vehicles to recoup).

(I asked SCA/PCTA before I posted this if it would be OK for me to do
so).

Bill