[pct-l] Giardia

Michael michael at leftcoastman.com
Fri Oct 22 23:11:53 CDT 2010

10,000 giardia cysts/L is visually not that polluted.  Basically, parasitic infections are matter of statistics.  Your body does a great job of destroying cysts, we evolved over a few million years to do that.  But, if you can only destroy 99.9% of cysts, even if there was only 10 cysts/L, the risk isn't precisely 0.

That being said, most of the water coming out of  the Sierras doesn't have giardia.  However, since giardia has a huge variety of hosts (even birds), some deer defecating upstream of you could cause the level to skyrocket for a few minutes, until it's diluted.  So I agree with the filtering.  I'm kind of paranoid about it, because I contracted giardia in Colorado (confirmed by a stool analysis, so it wasn't another disease).  I was sick for weeks before it was properly diagnosed.  And just so you know, the medication that treats giardia has significant and not very fun side-effects.  I am personally paranoid of giardia.  I intend to carry Flagyl just in case.

Honestly, despite my own personal paranoia, the bigger concerns are Cryptosporidium and plain old E. coli.  If I take care of my filtration device, I can pump 10L in 10 minutes, enough for a couple of days I suppose.  I'm all right with that.

And whoever said we need germs to stay healthy really shouldn't say something like that.  We rid the planet of smallpox, not because we hung around the germs, but because we vaccinated against it.  There is no evidence that repeated exposure to parasites gives you a "healthy immune system", especially since an immune system is so complicated, there are literally thousands of factors that make it "healthy" or not.  You might tolerate the parasites, but its effects will reduce your lifespan.  There are reasons why the developed world has longer lifespans, it's because we don't get diseases that were predominant 100 years ago.

And seriously, one person's experience is not statistically significant.  It's anecdote.  People are arguing about this to save a few ounces in their pack?  Oops, I probably shouldn't go there.  :)