[pct-l] How to support your hiking addiction

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 17:27:56 CDT 2010

Sasha,
You have received very good advice so far.
Long distance backpacking is a difficult hobby to support.
There are 3 other ways that have not yet been brought to your attention.

1. The Andy Skurka  way.....Andy became famous overnight after hiking
the 7,778 mile Sea to Sea Route in        2004 - 2005 shortly after
graduating from Duke University and has been successful making
backpacking his occupation through speeches, lectures, sponsors,
endorsements and guided wilderness tours.

2. The Marine Corps  way....You could enlist in the U. S. Marine Corps,
wind up a "Grunt" in the infantry where backpacking is a way of life and
get paid for pursuing your hobby backpacking......LORD  I  SHOULD HAVE
STAYED  IN   THE  MARINE  CORPS!!!

3. The Zsa Zsa Garbor way....Zsa Zsa was very good in choosing husbands
(she had nine) that were able to give her the financial support and
freedom to pursue any hobby or life style she chose.
Seems to me I read somewhere that Zsa Zsa always examined the financial
statements before saying "I  DO".

On a more serious note, you might consider a career in Real Estate which
would give you more flexibility in taking time off for backpacking....it
has worked for me.
Or you could do like Ned and become a builder of spec homes.....build
one, take a year off....build another, take another year off...etc., etc.,

JMT Reinhold
The career consultant
Sasha wrote:
Hi, I'm a college student who, in the past few years, has gotten very
interested in long distance backpacking. I've been on the list for a
while and have heard from a lot of very experienced backpackers. Reading
their posts, I was wondering, how you have implemented the backpacking
world into "real life". Is it more common for people to take the Yogi
path and sort of haphazardly get into backpacking while maintaining an
unrelated job back at home or do most take the Ned path and get into
backpacking by falling in love with it through their job? Working for my
school's outdoor organization, I've guided a number of backpacking
trips. As man of our school's guides graduate though, they move on to
careers in different areas. How can long distance backpacking be
sustainable as a career path? What ways do people mix their passion with
profession?

Sasha Leidman